Wednesday, May 2, 2007

RastaChristism

I have to admit that I was fairly ignorant of the history/origin of Rastafarianism before I read the Wikipedia and listened to Bob Marley.

The line that I found most interesting in the Wikipedia article on Rastafarianism was that "some Rastafari choose to classify their religion as Ethiopian Orthodox Christianity, Protestant Christianity, or Judaism." I had never really thought of it as an addition to Christianity, but instead I placed it in its own category. I am not necessarily saying that it isn't in its own category, but that is an issue that is definitely worth thinking about.

Rastafarianism (from what I can tell), pulls on three religious traditions: Judaism, Ethiopian Christianity (Kebra Negast), and "traditional" Christianity. It is evident in their primary belief (the deification of an Ethiopian King) that they focus strongly on their connection to the narrative of the Kebra Negast, and relate to the line of Solomonic rulers. While Bob Marley's songs seem to simply expect the listener to have this portion of his religious tradition already under his belt, he leaves clues in his songs which clearly point to the Jewish and Christian origins of his beliefs.

In "Jammin" Marley clearly shows roots in Judaism by pronouncing that Jah is the same God that the Israelites worshiped (he accomplishes this by placing him in the same sacred place that is often associated with the God of Israel),
Yeh! Holy Mount Zion;
Holy Mount Zion:
Jah sitteth in Mount Zion
And rules all creation.
and in "People get Ready," Marley seems to be calling believers to action (to "fight" which I assume means to convert the world so that, upon the "Man's" return, the world is in harmony). This song has a strong Christianesk feel to it, with the discussion of "Armagiddyon" and the illusion throughout the song to the Great Commission of Christ (to bring the Gospel to every corner of the world).
Let's get together to fight this Holy Armagiddyon (One Love!),
So when the Man comes there will be no, no doom (One Song!).
Have pity on those whose chances grows t'inner;
There ain't no hiding place from the Father of Creation.
Overall I found this brief study of Rastafarianism very interesting. It is defiantly a religion that I had very little understanding of before this assignment (not to say I fully understand it now), but now I at least have a general knowledge about the belief. I am fascinated at how this study seems to build off of how the Ethiopians poured in a couple of religions, mixed the pot, and created something new and unique to them.

No comments: