Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Poetry

Well I am unsure how to respond to the reading for today. I guess I'll give it a go (it will probably be really short)...

It seems to me that the central purpose of these poems for Stevens was to express the spenders of humanism. In "Sunday Morning," he writes about a woman who realizes that divinity must live within herself, and in the emotions that make up her existence. Also in "On the Road Home", he continues this theme when describe how the expression of a humanist view of no absolute truth and the need to base all beliefs on visible evidence has lead to a rosier side of life ("grapes seemed fatter", etc.). I think this fits well with the module that we are currently working on --- secular religion, but seem to be at a loss for words right now... lets hope that everyone isn't as I am in class this morning...

No comments: