Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Response to Alex

I was just reading over some posts and came across a string of posts by Alex (1,2,3). These posts bring up some specific questions which I think I can help clear up, and also make some points that I would like to (in a respectful fashion) rebut.


1)The book of Lamentations was written by the prophet Jeremiah (or the "weeping prophet"). It tells the story of how the people if Israel turned away from the teachings of God (as they do throughout the Old Testament), and how God turned his back on them--allowing judgement in the form of Babylonian invasion and imprisonment. It contrasts the great city that was Jerusalem and the potential that it had while the people followed God, but as they turned away it has become subject to foreign powers. In the minds of many Christian churches today, Lamentations is meant to express the heart of God as he is forced (in his perfect justice) to allow judgement to come upon them.

2) I don't know if I fully understand this next post on the ascetic lifestyle of Origen, but I will give it my best shot. It is clear throughout the Bible (especially in the New Testament) that a Christian is not called to a materialistic lifestyle. One evidence of this can be found in the Gospel of Matthew, chapter 6 verses 19-21 -
"19Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:
20But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:
21For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." KJV

3) Christianity revolves around a singular Godhead made up of three distinct personalities (the Father, Son (Jesus), and the Holy Spirit). Each of these "characters" as one might say plays a different role- for instance the Holy Spirit is often referred to as the 'comforter' and works in the hearts and lives of mankind.

I would just like to say that I understand your confusion coming from a non-christian background, but when you express your inability to understand the history and theology behind Christianity as inherent flaws in the religion itself, it is offensive. I apologize if this post has been to pointed, but my real intent is just to answer the questions posed (even if they were rhetorical) and to let you know what I was thinking while I read your posts.

1 comment:

Alex said...

I appreciate you explaining the different aspects of Christianity. It is clear that you have studied the bible in depth. I'm sorry if my remarks about Christianity offend you. Whenever I read passages in the bible and commentaries about those passages, I get frustrated with understanding the texts because it seems many of the commentators expect the reader to be somewhat well versed in Christianity.

Also, I admit that many of the beliefs in Christianity run counter to what I have been raised with and take for granted. Science and well backed arguments have formed the basis of my philosophy on religion. If you read my latest blog trying to define religion, you will probably get a sense of my point of view. Again, I don't mean to offend.