Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Why We Believe?

Just to start with a little bit of background. I am a non-denominational Christian (not that I attend a church which touts its lack of affiliation-which I have in the past), but I attend an Assemblies of God Church here in Appleton. I believe in the basics of Christianity, and see the majority of the extensive variety of Christian denominations as differences in style of implementing those basics. Now on to the reading...

Besides the fact that the style was not the most appealing, the content of the New York Times Magazine article "Why Do We Believe?" (by Robin Marantz Henig) was quite fascinating. I was most intrigued by the author’s apparent surprise with the stance taken by Justin Barrett. Even stating at one point that "Barrett's faith might seem confusing. (78)” I felt that this clearly demonstrated the author's either personal lack of belief, or the perceived audience dominated by non-believers--a situation which seems highly improbable because he cites earlier in the article the overwhelming number of American's who believe in a personal God (39).

As Barret states, a recognition of the innate nature of human beings to believe in a higher power does not erase the plausibility of such a belief, but also can be used to show that God built us to believe. I was quite relieved to see that this point of view was included in the article since it had been lingering in my mind as I read through the arguments by those of varying levels of atheism describing how they believed the nature to believe had developed.

I feel that this article demonstrates the tendency for some atheists to view that those who have sincere religious beliefs follow a blind and scientifically/intellectually ignorant faith. Not only is that assumption wrong and insulting, it demonstrates their own ignorance of the global religious community.

This may sound a bit angry and may not be the intended sentiment in the article, but this section of the article has lent itself to a discussion of a problem I have witnessed over the past few years.

See you all in class!

No comments: